Start up from macOS Recovery
Navigate to the location where you want the files to be stored. Click the Select button. Click the Close button to exit Preferences. To download a specific image that appears on a web page, move your pointer over the image, right-click, and choose Save Image As from the pop-up menu that appears. MacBook Pro Essentials provides everything you need to quickly set up and start using your new MacBook Pro and included apps. Learn about useful shortcuts and tools that are right at your fingertips on the Touch Bar, and set up Touch ID so that you can unlock your Mac in an instant. Testing conducted by Apple in October 2020 on production 1.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i5-based 13-inch MacBook Pro systems with 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, and prerelease macOS Big Sur. Systems tested with WPA2 Wi-Fi network connection while running on battery power, with display brightness set to 12 clicks from bottom or 75%. Unlike pre-macOS Sierra versions, you can now only install apps on your MacBook Pro (running macOS High Sierra at the time of this writing) from the App Store. This not only maintains the integrity and security of your Mac, it also makes the entire installation process quick and hassle-free. Installing apps on your Mac is simple.
Determine whether you're using a Mac with Apple silicon, then follow the appropriate steps:
- Apple silicon: turn on your Mac and continue to press and hold the power button until you see the startup options window, which includes a gear icon labelled Options. Select Options, then click Continue.
- Intel processor: make sure your Mac has a connection to the Internet. Then turn on your Mac and press and hold Command (⌘)-R immediately until you see an Apple logo or another image.
I Can Choose A Download On My Macbook Pro 2017
If you're asked to select a user you know the password for, select the user, click Next and enter their administrator password.
Select Reinstall macOS from the utilities window in macOS Recovery and then click Continue and follow the installer's instructions.
Follow these guidelines during installation:
- Allow installation to complete without putting your Mac to sleep or closing its lid. Your Mac may restart and show a progress bar several times, and the screen may be empty for minutes at a time.
- If the installer asks to unlock your disk, enter the password you use to log in to your Mac.
- If the installer can't see your disk or notifies you that it can't install macOS on your computer or volume, you may need to erase your disk first.
- If the installer is for a different version of macOS to what you expected, find out about other installation options, below.
- If the installer offers you the choice between installing on Macintosh HD or Macintosh HD – Data, choose Macintosh HD.
When the installation is complete, your Mac may restart to a setup assistant. If you're selling, trading in or giving away your Mac, press Command-Q to quit the assistant without completing setup. Then click Shut Down. When the new owner starts up the Mac, they can use their own information to complete the setup process.
Other macOS installation options
By default, macOS Recovery installs the latest macOS that was previously installed on your Mac.* You can get other macOS versions using one of these methods:
- On an Intel-based Mac, you can use Option-Command-R at startup to upgrade to the latest macOS that is compatible with your Mac. Exceptions:
- If macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later was never previously installed, you will receive the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available.
- If your Mac has the Apple T2 Security Chip and you never installed a macOS update, you will receive the latest macOS that was installed on your Mac.
- On an Intel-based Mac that used macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later previously, you can use Shift-Option-Command-R at startup to install the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available.
- Reinstall macOS from the App Store instead of using macOS Recovery. If you can't install the latest macOS, you may be able to install an earlier macOS.
- Create a bootable installerand then use it to install macOS on your Mac or another Mac.
I Can Choose A Download On My Macbook Pro 13.3
* If you've just had your Mac logic board replaced during a repair, macOS Recovery may only offer the latest macOS compatible with your Mac. If you erased your entire disk instead of just the startup volume on that disk, macOS Recovery may only offer the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available.